October 18, 2020

 

I am now officially a "Nomad"  on the road full time since the beginning of August in my small vintage travel trailer pulled by my Honda Element. The combination has certainly drawn a lot of attention wherever I go. The first question people ask is "did ou have the trailer custom built to go with your car?" No one believes that it is a 50 year old vintage trailer. Of course the only thing still original on it is the fiberglass shell and the lift mechanism for the popup roof section. All of the interior is new, the frame, axle and wheels are also new as is the canvas in the popup. It even has a solar panel on the roof now and of course modern electrical plug-ins for USB devices as well as LED lighting.

 I did not have quite enough time to fully finish the interior renovation before I left so that is still going on with some electrical wiring left to do for various types of plug ins. Plus I still need to make doors for the cabinets and build a few drawers, but I brought along the tools and most of the materials for that. Once that work is done I will post photos of the completed interior.

 


Of course I also put in a desk space in the trailer and I have a portable workshop space, ie a dome tent with space to stand up inside of it. photo above is of my current campsite including that dome tent where I am staying in for the rest of October 2020. It is a nice place, very large campsite with picnic table, the restrooms are very close by and there are private shower rooms and toilets for the campers. I am close by to the town of Poulsbo, WA where I was living when I started this blog. But with the Covid 19 situation I am unable to visit my former neighbors who are of course still my friends.

Yes, I am still going to be making miniatures. I brought along the Coastal Cottage dollhouse to finish. Plus I am still making and selling Tiny Village kits in my Etsy store. Despite Covid 19 it has been a good year for my Tiny Village sales. Hopefully this winter, now that my vision is a little more improved and less warped looking, I can design more buildings for that series.


9 comments:

Daydreamer said...

Hi Karen! Bravo for your work on your little trailer camper! Wow! What a great accomplishment! I am really glad to hear you will still be working on minis! It's wonderful to see a post from you again! Stay well and stay safe! :):)

marcella aka milo said...

Hi Karen, so glad you’re back to posting, I missed you. Gorgeous work on your trailer and I can’t wait to see some of the interiors. Also very happy that your eyesight has improved, hope to see some new minis from you very soon. Take care!

marcella aka milo said...

Hi Karen, so glad you’re back to posting, I missed you. Gorgeous work on your trailer and I can’t wait to see some of the interiors. Also very happy that your eyesight has improved, hope to see some new minis from you very soon. Take care!

shannonc60 said...

It’s awesome Karin that you have almost finished your trailer. What a sense of of accomplishment and satisfaction that must bring. I love that you have a portable workshop and look forward to seeing your new creations. Stay safe and happy travels!

Unknown said...

I am fascinated by the nomadic life. If have been working on a plan for myself 'just in case'. May I ask what lead you to this decision and if you're willing, could you please write about that a b it more on how it's going?
Thank you and best of luck.

Karin Corbin said...

I had for more years than I can remember wanted to be able to spend the winters in the Southwest and the summers in the Pacific NW. But some health issues with my vision and a few other health incidents kept delaying my departure as well as getting the renovation finished. Quite a lot of people do choose to spend their retirement years traveling in RVs of various types.

miraclechicken said...

This is awesome!

The grandmommy said...

Would you mind terribly if was extremely jealous? LOL You are living my dream! Enjoy ever stinkin minute of it. Stay safe and keep us posted!

Patrick Wentzel said...

Karin, Hi! We have exchanged emails in the past. I wondered what happened to you. I trust all is well. Patrick Wentzel