April 20, 2011

Final Cut




photo copyright Karin Corbin 2011

The last pair of new scissors I purchased this week also have a micro serrated blade that helps capture the fine fiber so it is easier to trim it off. They are very sharp. I purchased them at a store that sells stamps for crafters. Micromark also carries this little scissors. I think I will try and order a curved blade version of these to add to my collection. They are not expensive, under $12.00 a pair. They are a great tool for that final little trim. Now that I have taken a photo I can see that wee bit more of trimming that needs to be done.

I hereby give myself a certificate in micro scale thatching competence! What a relief to get all that stuff sorted out. But the work is only part way done as now I have to photograph and write the tutorials for the thatching kits.

That is a common sewing pin in the photo next to the penny. Scale is such a funny thing, in the photo the pin looks more like a nail.

7 comments:

Katie said...

The house looks great! So does the thatch! It's just so tiny:)

Patty said...

Karen, That house is so wonderful! You have done an excellent job on the thatching!!! It looks great!

Catherine / Mooghiscath said...

Très beau rendu ce toit de chaume , les ciseaux sont très pratiques j'ai les même , ils permettent de faire de belles coupes rases !

TreeFeathers said...

Great tip on the scissors, Karin! I often have that problem of fibers pushing ahead of the scissors and not being cut properly, it never occurred to me that serrated blades would fix that problem! Also I am just in love with your little cottage, can't wait till I can get one!

- Grace

Norma Bennett said...

This is truly amazing Karin, I'd not be game to tackle thatch in a larger scale let alone this tiny! Your talent is matched by your courage :)

Caseymini said...

karin, I have a couple of pair of these. One is bent so that the points can get into tight places easier. Those might be ever better for getting into the corners on the thatched roofs. Thanks for the tip. I didn't even realize that they were serated.

Iain Robinson said...

This is lovely, and so small! A little work of art. I certainly wouldn't be brave enough to make thatch this way...have you seen photos of Roye England's thatching work on the Vale scene at Pendon? I think you might just have put the old boy to shame there.