March 5, 2014

red roof prototype

© Karin Corbin 2014, all reproduction right reserved

© Karin Corbin 2014, all reproduction right reserved

I just cut and assembled the first prototype of the 1:48 scale cardstock building. This is not the final design. As always the prototypes tutor me on what improvements I might want to make. Yes those are my micro sized houses inside a 1:48 scale structure. They work out to be a nice size for a child's toy house of indeterminate scale. Well I suppose I could determine the scale if I did the math. They are 65% of 1:220 which is of course not a standard dollhouse scale.

I  have no idea when this will be ready for sale. I need to get a more powerful cutting machine to handle the heavy weight cardstock. The new machine will also be able to emboss which is going to be fun for adding texture. I will order it this week.

Then I have to try different papers and such and figure out things like what to use for door knobs, window handles and such. I am even going to venture into making some small scale flowers to fill up the planter boxes. Now don't laugh, I have never made flowers for dollhouses before as buildings and furniture are more my thing. But I figure even I can manage to wrap my head around punching out a five petal flower and dot the center with paint then glue it to some foam and stuff those boxes full of posies.

© Karin Corbin 2014, all reproduction right reserved